WEST CHINNOCK CHURCH
USUAL SERVICE TIMES EACH MONTH
(prior to Covid- 19) Currently Sunday worship online
First Sunday 6.30 pm Praise Evening (odd months)
Second Sunday No Service (8.00am BCP Communion suspended during the vacancy)
Third Sunday 4 pm Family Service
Fourth Sunday 9.30am CW Communion
When we reopen for worship, there will be a reduced pattern initially.
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Following extensive re-ordering of the building in 2018, much of St Mary’s is now readily accessible to wheelchair users. Furthermore, part of the south aisle is carpeted and is suitable as a children’s play area.
There is a fully accessible toilet and there is also a loop system to assist those using hearing aids.There are three access footpaths to the church: two, which include steep steps, are from Higher Street; the third, from Scotts Way, is wide, smooth and has a tarmac surface. The Scotts Way path is recommended for all those using wheelchairs or other wheeled devices such as children’s buggies, but please be aware that there remains a mix of cambers by the road so assistance may still be required for wheelchair users. There is step into the church, please ask for a ramp. The church has no designated parking places so please park on either road. There are no specific parking restrictions. If you would like specific information or advice concerning access please contact our churchwarden.
A place of worship has stood on the site from 1293 or earlier. The building was described as a Chapel in 1519 attached to the living of Chiselborough.
ln 1889 the church was demolished and a larger building erected in the High Victorian style developed by Bodley & Blomfield. The tower was rebuilt, with original stone and a belfry added under a saddleback tower. The interior was designed imitating 13th century architecture and retaining a 13th century lancet window in the chancel’s north wall. There are gabled aisles with arcades on circular piers, with naturalistic foliage of high quality in the corbels and especially the reredos. Good too the arcaded drum Pulpit and circular Font. Much of the stained-glass dates from 1890 and later, by Ward & Hughes. Many of the memorials refer to the Hayward and Ford families. Richard Hayward, twine and webbing manufacturer, and Mrs Sarah Woodcock (nee Ford) were the principal donors towards the rebuilding costs.
The architect was Charles Kirk of Lincolnshire, and the builder was Charles Trask of Norton-sub-Hamdon, using stone from his Ham Hill quarry.
The new church was opened by the Bishop of Bath and Wells on July 21st 1890.
Church address: Higher Street, West Chinnock, TA18 7QA
CHURCH OPEN TIMES
Saturdays 9am to 1pm and Tuesdays 2pm to 6pm From July
Telephone: 01935 882604
‘I have come that they may have life in all its fullness’ (John 10 )
When and where, learn more about us and the types of services we offer across the benefice
Meetings, Groups and activities, find out what’s going on across the Benefice on our Events Page
We would love to hear from you. Please contact us via the details on the Who’s Who page