Stoke sub Hamdon Church
USUAL SERVICE TIMES EACH MONTH
(prior to Covid- 19) Currently Sunday worship online
Sundays (see service schedule for this month for details)
8am 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month: Book of Common Prayer Holy Communion (said)
11am 1st Sunday Café style worship at All Saints Hall (interactive informal worship)
2nd Sunday Contemporary Holy Communion
3rd Sunday Morning worship – with music group or recorded hymns
4th Sunday Morning worship – with music group or recorded hymns
Saturdays 4.45pm Prayer Meeting – a quiet time of prayer for the needs of the village and the mission of the church
When we reopen for worship, there will be a reduced pattern initially.
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Sadly there is limited parking outside the church and no designated disabled parking space – most people park on East St. Our church building is approached up three steps and then an uneven paved pathway, with a handrail, and there is a step from porch into the church. Once inside it is warm and comfortable, with pew cushions, a toilet, a kitchenette and a hearing loop. If you have special needs please ask. All Saints Hall has level access, a carpark adjacent and the use of an accessible toilet.
The Tower dates from the 13th century. The embattled top and cornice were added in the 15th century. The Porch and room above were added about 1325. It will be noticed that it is not bonded in to the wall of the Tower. The room above, sometimes call a Parvise, may have been used for school purposes, or as a place from which the priest or other person could watch the church. The main doors were probably replaced in the mid 1800s and are reputed to have come from Ilchester Jail when it closed.
The Chancel The east window (containing some mediaeval glass) and wall are 15th century. There is no physical evidence of an apse. The other windows on the north and south date from about 1250. Those on the north may have been altered in the 15th century. The altar is Jacobean and the altar rails date from Charles I. Fine specimens of 12th century corbel tables are to be seen on the north and south walls. Note the scratch dial on the south side.
The Nave The fine Norman Chancel Arch is thought to have been rebuilt. It was restored in 1862. The Wall Paintings on the wall above the chancel arch are 14th or 15th century; those on the north and south walls are 17th century. In the north wall is a fine recumbent effigy of Thomas Strode who died in 1595. The Recesses in the north and south walls are probably the one an Easter Sepulchre, and the other an Aumbry. The double Piscina in the south east angle dates from around 1300. The Font is late 12th or early 13th century and was originally centrally in the nave. It was moved in 1916.
The North Transept was added about 1190. It has a typical ribbed vault with rich stiff leaf corbels of the finest Transitional style, a style between Norman and Early English, which is rare in Somerset. The north window dates from about 1430. The 15th century stone Screen at the entrance was probably brought with the stone altar from the Chapel of St Nicholas in the Castle at West Stoke. The South Transept was added about 1300.
Church address: St Mary’s Church, Church Lane, Stoke sub Hamdon, Somerset. TA14 6UF
CHURCH OPEN TIMES
Sunday 9am – 4pm from 5th July
(for individual prayer/ visitors except during services)
‘I have come that they may have life in all its fullness’ (John 10 )
When and where, learn more about us and the types of services we offer across the benefice
Meetings, Groups and activities, find out what’s going on across the Benefice on our Events Page
We would love to hear from you. Please contact us via the details on the Who’s Who page