USUAL SERVICE TIMES EACH MONTH
Wednesday 8.00am Morning Prayer
First Sunday 8.00am BCP Communion
Second Sunday 11.00am Open Door informal service
Third Sunday 9.30am CW Communion including ‘Gateway’ for children
Fourth Sunday 6.30pm (4 times a year) Taize service
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
The church is approached via Church Lane opposite the Cat Head Inn in the centre of the village. The access is level and suitable for wheelchair users and prams and there is a wooden ramp behind the porch door if needed to climb the single step into the porch. There is very limited parking outside the church but cars can be parked on the roadside in the village. We regret that there are currently no toilet facilities in the church.
There is a loop system.
The 13th century parish church is well lit by tall windows and white walls. The original Norman church probably consisted of a low central tower with a chancel and short nave. The present church has been much restored in modern times, notably in 1842, in 1911/12 with an extension of the nave and in 1980/81 with the repair of the nave ceiling. Unusual features include the 13th century spire and the central position of the tower.
The shields in the west window are those of the Strangways family (Earls of Ilchester) and of the Wyndhams, both of whom at various times held the Manor of Chiselborough and the patronage of the living.
In the passage leading to the vestry is a slab commemorating the Gawlers, after whom “Gawlers Hill” (to the north east of the village) is named. Chiselborough had two Gawler rectors, in the time of Charles I and during the civil war.
The Children’s Window. In 1988 four windows in the church required replacement, work on the others having been carried out in 1982. It was decided to dedicate one window to the children associated with the village – “With Thanks for Children”. The 99 panes, each of which cost £5, were kindly purchased by parents and relatives on their behalf.
Church address: Church Lane, Chiselborough, Stoke sub Hamdon. TA14 6TR
CHURCH OPEN TIMES
Daily 9am – 4pm
(for non-worshipping visitors except during services)
Telephone: 01935 881542
Telephone: 01935 881791